The tips and tricks – paraphrased below- are basic but worth noting:
- Get Toasty. Toast Your Spices and maximize the potency. This releases oils and flavor.
- Stay cool. Never store the spices above a stove. Heat degrades flavor.
- Don’t store spices too long. Keep it fresh.
- Use your freezer. Dark and sealed dry.
- Keep them in the dark. Sunlight degrades flavor too. See tip 2.
My favorite spice trick is using a Monday to Sunday travel pill box to store just enough spices for that trip to the beach… more here…
Got a favorite spice trick for BBQ or just cooking? Love to hear it. Share it in the comments.