Bacon Crust Pizza
For low carb pizza fans. Or high bacon fans. The key to using bacon crust is in the weave.
- 1 package grocery bacon
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- ½ red onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 whole (canned) tomatoes hand crushed
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- ½ green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- Fresh basil
- Weave bacon on parchment paper for easy handling. Use chilled or refrigerated bacon for easy handling.
- Cut bacon weave square into a round using a second – cover- sheet of parchment and a medium to large bowl. Reserve trimmed bacon.
- Chop ¼ red onion and sautee with chopped remaining bacon until caramelized.
- Smoke bacon weave in smoker at 350 degrees F for an hour.
- Top bacon crust with additional ingredients. One initial thin bottom layer of cheese helps to minimize leaks and softness.
- Add fresh basil at end of cook.
- Allow 10 minutes to rest and allow bottom layer to firm up before serving.Makes 4 hearty slices
Recipe by Barbecue Tricks at https://barbecuetricks.com/bacon-crust-pizza/