Posted on 15 December 2012.
Feeling BLUE? This is just the thing to brighten up your day and spiff up your barbecue. A Blue BBQ Sauce Recipe that is unlike anything you’ve tried before.
My wife was skeptical. ”It won’t work it will look bad and you need tomato,” she said.
True it’s not really a Smurf blue color… but that’s probably a good thing. The color is subtle (in fact hard to see in some of these photos). The “blue” comes from the rich blueberry sweetness that you immediately recognize when you drip the sauce on your favorite barbecue. Sweet, tangy, fresh, and slightly fruity… it really works.
Perfect for beef or chicken. A side of blue potatoes?
The added bonus is there is a nice hint of blue in the sauce and it’s a great conversation starter.
Team this Blue sauce up with our almost award winning red sauce and a unique Alabama White sauce and you have a RED, White, and Blue patriotic BBQ.
If you are looking for more blue color double the mustard and steep the dried blueberries an additional ten minutes.
Try the Blue BBQ Sauce this weekend!
This rich barbecue sauce is more blueberry than blue in color. If you desire a more blue appearance increase the mustard and allow the berries to steep in liquid longer.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato catsup
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Add water, blueberries and vinegar to sauce pan and simmer for five to ten minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat until desired thickness.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain out blueberry pulp using spoon to force out additional liquid. Discard pulp.
More Recipes at BarbecueTricks.com